film production + social action



The Good Life?

By Emily Bierwirth

Flipping through radio stations on a drive back from Boston this weekend, there were a few tunes I could not escape — namely “The Good Life” by One Republic. As I listened to the poppy positive messages, I could not help but think about the thousands of protestors currently gathering in cities around the nation and wonder: would they agree with the lyrics from this hit song that has ruled the radio for months?

One thing the protestors partaking in Occupy Wall Street might agree upon is that the supposed “good life” is a luxury only afforded to the top 1% earning Americans. For the other 99%, life comes with struggles to obtain health care, education, and job security. Now, the bottom 99% is speaking out. According to their website, Occupy Wall Street was “Inspired by the popular assemblies of Egypt, Spain, Oaxaca and worldwide, [and] those gathered will work to find a common voice in one clear, unified demand.”

So, what do the protestors demand exactly? This question is precisely the main point of contention in recent media coverage of the event. The movement has been largely criticized by various news stations for its lack of specific demands. Without an obvious goal, the group appears to some unfocused. However, to expect one list of demands misses the point of this gathering entirely. There are thousands of protestors and each has their own list of grievances to voice.

At least one demand is clear: the policies that dictate American life need to change. So, the next time I hear One Republic’s incessant question “Please tell me what there’s to complain about?” I’ll have an answer: a lot. Stay tuned.

Here’s to keeping the atmosphere light in a heavy situation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id9M1st39oQ&feature=player_embedded

Emily Bierwirth is the PR and Marketing Intern for Righteous Pictures. Emily is a documentary film enthusiast and a avid traveler, recently graduated from Colby College where she majored in Anthropology and studied abroad in Argentina. Inspired by the hordes of documentaries she watched throughout her academic career, Emily decided to make a documentary of her own called The Flash Club. This film focused on her creation and execution of a Flash Mob Dance at Colby, and the potential uses of Flash Mobs for social action. Aside from her love of films and exploring the world, Emily has a passion for dancing. Her goal is to turn everyday day life into a musical!

Reply